Our V i s i o n
To be the lead regulatory agency responsible for the prevention of introduction and or spread of exotic pests and diseases of all agricultural products in international trade.
Our M i s s i o n
To provide an effective science based regulatory service for the quality assurance of agricultural products through a consistent enforcement of sanitary and phytosanitary measures for plants, animal and aquatic resources health, thereby promoting food safety, a secured and sustainable agricultural and economic development
ANIMAL & ANIMAL PRODUCTS IMPORT-EXPORT REQUIREMENTS
Apply for import permit to the chief Veterinary Officer (CVO), Federal Department of Veterinary and Pest Control Services, Federal Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development, Area 11, Abuja.
- Obtain import/export permit for wildlife subject to the acquisition of CITES permit from the Federal Ministry of Environment.
- Notify Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Services (NAQS) of import permit details.
- Notify NAQS of the arrival date.
- On arrival point of entry, make declaration of animal /animal product or consignment for NAQS inspection and certification.
- Declaration should include the entire document accompanying the animal/animal product and consignment including Sanitary/Health certificate of the animal, documents of port of embarkment, port of disembarkment, country of export, country of destination, purpose of importation etc.
- NAQS officer verifies the document and consignments as well as the status of animal & animal product at the point of entry.
- On arrival at the port, NAQS officials conduct visual inspection of animal and animal products. Live animals are sent to the quarantine stations for observation and suspected animal products are lab tested. If satisfied, animal or animal products are released; otherwise animal or animal products are detained for further quarantine action.
- Quarantine facilities where animals are sent to could be NAQS or owners’ facility where necessary laboratory checks and certification are carried out.
- For live animals, they must be held for a reasonable quarantine period.
11) If the animal & animal product or consignment does not comply with the above, the importer will pay the appropriate user fees (calculated by NAQS) for further necessary quarantine action.
- Where an animal is infected with a zoonotic disease, the animal could be seized for further necessary action or destroyed by NAQS at the importer’s expense.
Apply for export permit to the chief Veterinary officer (CVO), Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development, Area 11, Garki, Abuja.
- Notify Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Services (NAQS) of Export Permit details.
- Notify NAQS of the departure date for necessary quarantine measures before export at the quarantine facility before export, at the owner’s expense.
- Declaration and animal / animal product or consignment at the point of exit for NAQS inspection and certification.
- Declaration and verification should include all the documents accompanying the animal /animal product or consignment including Sanitary/health Certificate at the point of exit.
- If the animal /animal product and consignment complies with the above, it will be allowed for exit otherwise, the following measures will apply:
a. Detention until all that is necessary is done
b. Refusal to be exported by NAQS
Choose Your Color
You can easily change and switch the colors.